Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Monday, September 26, 2011

Reclaimed Barnwood Sign & Tutorial

Live Simply.  A great motto to live by.  And also the wording I decided to use on a piece of old barnwood I reclaimed from the hub's parents' farm.



I'm pretty sure his Dad had used it at one point to clean fish, since there were scales on the backside.  Yum!  But not a deterrent to me!  I just bleached it really good before I got to work.

This is what I started with:


First I gave it a coat of Chalkboard White by Dutch Boy Paint.  I love how it really made the grain pop.


Then I sanded the heck out of it with steel wool, which is now my new fave to rough up a surface...  Cheap and it works!


And then I cut some burlap, centered it, and hot glued it into place:


I had these starfish laying around that I bought a few years ago when I was back in Virginia Beach, so I decided to glue those down too. . .


Next, because I'm severely straight line challenged, I marked off where the stencil would go.  Seriously, if I tried to just eyeball it, it would turn out looking like this:
                                                      L
                                       i
                                      v
                                        e
                                 S
                                  i                        
                                   m
                                    p
                                     l
                                       y        .

No kidding.

So, if I have to deal with a tiny barely noticeable line on most of my homemade stuff, no biggie.  I'd rather have that than a crooked word.

And since I really, really don't like stencil paper, I decided to make my stencil from regular old printer paper.  Guess what?  Worked like a charm for a fraction of the cost.


After tracing on the words, I filled in the letters with black paint by first dabbing on the outline and then filling it in.  With burlap, you can't smooth the paint on because it catches, so you just dab it on like so. . .


  
And then you're done.  YIPPEE!


Doesn't it just remind you to take a deep breath, even amid all the hustle and bustle of life?


Live Simply.  A reminder to not let the frantic pace of life consume you.


And a little taste of summer, all year through.  (Although I'm really out of step with the rest of blogland, who have all moved onto fall decor.  A little secret. . .  I really don't care too much for fall or halloween decor.  I mean, I like it - just not in my house.  Love the season, just not the traditional decor.  Now Christmas?  Whole 'nother story.)


One of my favorite things in my house.  I got this potpourri shell from TJ Maxx last summer.

  
Now, all I have to do is figure out what to do with it.

Take care!

I've linked this project up to:

Lil' Luna - All Things Good


9 comments:

Our Beaten Path said...

So awesome! I'm glad I found your blog through pintrest! Thanks for stopping by and leaving the kind words!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

I love the burlap touch. I am going to do this!

Shari

Amanda said...

This looks gorgeous, I just love everything about it!

Gretchen said...

I love how you keep culling treasures from you fil's farm. :) Reminds me of something I would do too, however I don't always get around to actually doing my projects.
Your sign turned out great and I'm with you about the Fall/Halloween Decor around my house, and love what you are showcasing. Living in MN, I'm always game for beach inspiration...
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

I live in Colorado but am still obsessed with burlap and coastal stuff. Beautiful sign!! Could I ask how you did the letter stencils? Did you just print the letters out and trace? Kind of new to the DIY projects!

ARE said...

0820jejeAvec toutes nike air jordan xx9 les fonctionnalités supplémentaires que vous attendez d'un prix beaucoup plus élevé, mais c'est la asics gel lyte v argent chose, ces deux nouveaux Kelty Child Carriers sont à adidas zx flux noir blanc homme peu près le même prix que les anciens. C'est basket nike roshe run print femme souvent votre allège de voyage: résilient, facile à utiliser, et un air jordan 11 price guide seul gros réservoir de butane! Le Tech Xikar asics femme nimbus est généralement un briquet torche qui finira par faire le air jordan 1 mid all colorways travail. La proximité de Manchester signifie que beaucoup de adidas zx flux pas cher noir et rose talents idéaux de Stockport sont attirés dans la ville pour faire le asics gel lyte 3 pas cher blanche travail.

yanmaneee said...

hermes handbags
curry 7 sour patch
air jordan
converse shoes
golden goose
adidas ultra
yeezy shoes
air jordan
golden goose outlet
longchamp bags

sleasen said...

sa réponse Balenciaga Dolabuy cliquez pour enquêter sacs répliques hautes regardez ces gars sacs à dos de créateurs de répliques

sateau said...

Click Here replica louis vuitton her explanation aaa replica bags visit homepage Dior Dolabuy