Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Monday, February 13, 2012

Color Me Yours, Valentine!

I'm glad to report I am feeling more like my old self again!  WOW!  It felt so good to do something crafty today!  Nothing like the last minute...  The day before Valentine's and I had yet to make Eva and Noah's Valentine's for their classes.  But I always seem to do better with a deadline anyhow.  ;)

So, I'm sure everyone has seen these cuties on Pinterest:


Unfortunately, there was no source attached to the pin.  If this idea is yours, please let me know!  It's adorable!

Its pretty self explanatory, but I did take a few pics to show how I did Eva's...

First, preheat your oven to 230 degrees.


While your oven is preheating, group your crayons by color.


I did 7 groups, instead of mixing them all together:

1)  Reds/Pinks
2)  Purples/Pinks
3)  Blues/Greens
4)  Greens/Dark Greens
5)  Yellows/Oranges 
6)  Grays/Blacks/Whites
7)  Browns/Beiges

Remove the paper,



and cut them up...



Fill your heart silicon pan about 1/4 to 1/2 full, according to how thick you want the hearts to be.  I used larger hearts.


Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the crayons are completely melted.  To cool them faster, I put mine in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.  If it hadn't been snowing, I probably would have put them outside.  LOL

The final result looks like this:

In between waiting for them to completely cool and putting in a new batch, I played around with iWork Pages until I came up with a design and saying I liked, then I printed out the cards on cardstock.


After cutting the cards to size, I took leftover pieces of ribbon and buttons and glue gunned them to the cards.  Then I taped the  heart crayons to the cards.

This is the final result:



Twenty-four later and I was finally done.  It literally was an all day projects, just because the pan I used only had 6 hearts.


Eva loves them and I'm sure her friends will have a blast coloring with them.  Its an ingenious idea for a unique Valentine's card.  Don't you just love Pinterest?!


And thanks to my sis-in-law, for loaning me her silicone pan!  Total cost to me, was only the cost of the crayons, since I already had everything else here.  Aren't those the best projects?!  :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute - I have that pinned, too. Did you see the cereal ones? Those small cereal boxes with spoons tied around them with ribbons and a tag that says something like "I cerealsy like you" Too cute!

Gina :)

Tanya said...

These are so cute! Long time no talk. Glad to hear you're feeling better :) Happy Love Day! xoxo